Celebrity Gossip and Entertainment News - Your source for latest celebrity scandals, Hollywood gossip, Celebrity News, celebrity photos, entertainment news, movies and videos of your favorite stars and celebrities.

Monday, January 24, 2011

Roger Ebert is back on television with a prosthetic jaw

Roger Ebert is back on television with a prosthetic jaw

rogerebertprosethis
Film critic Roger Ebert, 68, lost the ability to speak about four and a half years ago due to complications from surgery to remove thyroid cancer. He was left with part of his jaw removed and was unable to eat or drink. He’s maintained a heavy schedule reviewing films, though, thanks to the help of his devoted wife of 19 years, Chaz. One thing Roger hasn’t done yet is appear as a critic on television. (Sort of, he did make a cameo on Oprah last year, during which he spoke through a text-to-speech program. He successfully predicted all of the Oscar winners last year.)

That all changed when Roger made a narrated guest appearance on the first episode of a new reboot of his famous “At the Movies” review show, which went through several iterations with different hosts. Roger’s original co-host, Gene Siskel, passed away from brain cancer in 1999. The new hosts will be Christy Lemire of The Associated Press, and Ignatiy Vishnevetsky of Mubi.com. Roger wore a new silicone prosthetic chin on the show and explained that it’s not to “fool anyone,” but is just “a pleasant reminder of the person I was for 64 years.”

It was a problem finding the right material. Two original models were too stiff, so that my head held upright reminded me of Erich von Stroheim in “Grand Illusion.” I couldn’t look down easily, which was a problem for walking and typing. Two weeks ago, David was back with a softer silicone that was much more wearable. Since I’d last met him he’d been in Haiti and Guatemala fitting false limbs for children who had lost arms or legs in natural calamities. My problems are small potatoes. David snapped the photo below after the fitting, and before the final coloring had been completed. I’d say he and Julie did a pretty wonderful damn job. I like my new prothesis and know from observation their work was painstaking and done with love and care.

I will wear the prosthesis on the new television show. That’s not to fool anyone, because my appearance is widely known. It will be used in a medium shot of me working in my office, and will be a pleasant reminder of the person I was for 64 years. Symbolically, it’s as if my illness never happened and, hey, here I still am, on the show with these new kids. When people see the “Roger’s Office” segment, they’ll notice my voice more than my appearance.

At the beginning of this process I assumed I would wear the new prosthesis whenever I left the house, so that “nobody would know.” But everybody knows. The photograph of me that appeared in Esquire even found its way onto billboards in China. And something else has happened since that day in the hospital: I accept the way I look. Lord knows I paid the dues.

[From Roger Ebert's blog]

That’s really nice and I love to see Ebert back on television. I used to watch Siskel and Ebert when I was in high school, and they always cracked me up with how they would argue. I read Ebert’s column regularly and you can hear his “voice” through his superb writing and the very unique analytical way he has of reviewing films. He’s one of a kind and I admire him so much.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Here’s Ebert without his prosthesis:
ebert

Written by Celebitchy

Bookmark and Share

Posted in Roger Ebert


- Shirtless Matthew McConaughey [Popsugar]
- The cat that refuses to leave his tree [D-Listed]
- Emma Roberts: new bitch on the rise [Lainey Gossip]
- Emma Stone looks like Lindsay Lohan [Go Fug Yourself]
- No Strings Attached review [She Knows]
- Selena Gomez looks so young without makeup! [Celebuzz]
- Oprah needs to get over herself [Popeater]
- Negative reviews of movies that turned out to be classics [Fark]
- Meet the forgotten Olsen [HuffPo]

11 Responses to “Roger Ebert is back on television with a prosthetic jaw”
  • great man, great outlook! keep it up ebert, you are an inspiration.

    Report this comment as spam or abuse

  • I hope he continues to do well.

    Report this comment as spam or abuse

  • He truly is an inspiration. That is strength

    Report this comment as spam or abuse

  • bless this man, and bless his wife who has lived out her vows for better or worse, in sickness and in health. they’re the people who should be held up as role models instead of the usual cast of self-absorbed, narcissistic characters.

    Report this comment as spam or abuse

  • I’m such a fan of Ebert.

    Report this comment as spam or abuse

  • hooray! that is awesome!

    Report this comment as spam or abuse

  • What a class act this man is. He and his blog are inspirational.

    Report this comment as spam or abuse

  • I watched him for years and never considered the man behind the reviews but now I sooo respect him primarily for continuing a public life with all his difficulties. God bless him and his wonderful wife. “For better or worse”…you got that right!!

    Report this comment as spam or abuse

  • Bitch really does run in the Roberts family doesn’t it? Look little miss “bow down to me b/c I’m a Roberts” when you earn an oscar, GG, emmy, SAG and other prestigious awards then you’ll have my respect. Otherwise, STFU and stop acting like a bitch!

    Report this comment as spam or abuse

  • He’s such an inspiration and I am glad to see him back on TV.

    Report this comment as spam or abuse

  • I cannot even imagine how difficult it has been for him to lose the ability to speak, chew and swallow. We take all of these basic functions for granted, but the quality of life issues for people who lose them are severe. On top of that, Ebert had to deal with becoming physically deformed. He handled the whole thing with such courage and class, he is nothing short of an inspiration.

    And he’s very lucky to have excellent health care.

    Report this comment as spam or abuse

  • Leave a ReplyCelebitchy aims to be a friendly, welcoming site where people can discuss entertainment stories and current events in a lighthearted, safe environment without fear of harassment, excessive negativity, or bullying. Different opinions, backgrounds, ages, and nationalities are welcome here - hatred and bigotry are not. If you make racist or bigoted remarks, comment under multiple names, or wish death on anyone you will be banned. There are no second chances if you violate one of these basic rules.

    By commenting you agree to our comment policy

    Use the "Report this comment as spam or abuse" link to ask the moderators to delete a comment if it's offensive. If your comment disappears, it has been eaten by the spam filter. Please e-mail cbcomments at gmail.com to get it retrieved.

    Get an icon next to your name by signing up for a free Gravatar



    Business | Christians | Coupons | Discussions | Gamers
    Legal | Politics | Sports | Teens | Webmasters

    No comments:

    Post a Comment