Celebrity Gossip and Entertainment News - Your source for latest celebrity scandals, Hollywood gossip, Celebrity News, celebrity photos, entertainment news, movies and videos of your favorite stars and celebrities.

Monday, May 9, 2011

Interview:Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin for Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed Kate Hudson Ginnifer Goodwin 24 11 10 kc Interview:Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin for Something Borrowed

Something Borrowed, directed by Luke Greenfield and based on the internationally acclaimed novel by Emily Griffin hits theaters this weekend. Standing toe-to-toe with highly anticipated Thor, I’m certain the filmmakers are banking on their celebrity-stocked cast to score serious numbers at the box office. We we fortunate enough to sit down with the picture’s leading ladies, Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin, to talk about the project.

Check out the interview below…

Ginnifer, you essentially carry the film. Pressure?

Ginnfer Goodwin: I was shocked. I was nervous, to be honest, about carrying the story in the way Rachel does. But not because she’s the lead, but because she’s a far more subtle character than the characters surrounding her and I’m not really used to playing someone as fleshed out as I hope we made her. I’m not used to playing someone straight and narrow. I was terrified of being boring. It was a very real insecurity.

I watched the movie and it was verified that I am actually silent through most of it. There aren’t a lot of lines coming out of Rachel’s mouth, it was important to tell the story in looks. In the energy of the relationships with other characters. I was very nervous.

Both characters pull some questionable moves, making them particularly difficult to empathize with. Was keeping these characters likable/relatable a challenge?

Ginnifer Goodwin: I judge Rachel harshly. What inspired me to play her was the challenge of finding sympathy for her, and thereby helping the audience find sympathy for her. I think she made poor decisions at just about every turn. I don’t agree with how she went about anything. She only gets him in the end because she gets busted. I feel that in any other story she’d be the antagonist. Making her the protagonist in this was very fun.

Kate Hudson:  I wasn’t too afraid of her being too unlikable. The reason why I was interested in this character was because of where she goes in the next one. I’d never played a character like that before, for me that was refreshing. It also lends itself to some good comedy, being the person who says things that people don’t usually get to say. In my generation, my friend group, people I know… I know a lotta girls like Darcy. I’ve even had a couple people come up, one was a man which was a little funny, who said “I’m Darcy.” I was like, “Yes you are!” In the next movie you realize that there is a vulnerability to her which is why she is the way she is. She’s not the smartest person, but she’s clever. She’s not afraid of who she is. She knows how to get her way by using certain tools…but they don’t last for very long. Which is what you learn as you get older. In the next movie Darcy has the real “Ah HA!” moment of “Oh my God, I don’t have any of these tools”

Kate, did you judge Darcy as harshly as Ginnifer did Rachel?

Kate Hudson: The thing is, when people are making choices based on how they feel or who they are, does it make them bad? I think that’s what we did really well. They aren’t bad people, they’re experiencing their lives and finding themselves in a difficult situation. I think this movie will really resonate with our generation…20-45. They’ll really, really go “Okay, I remember when…”

somethingborrowed5 5 11d Interview:Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin for Something Borrowed

Was the adaptation factor at all daunting given that Emily Griffin’s novel has such a strong following?

Ginnifer Goodwin: We relied on the source material more than anything. She was absolutely available to us, what was really special to me was that she trusted us. I’ve worked before on projects based on books and you don’t necessarily have those people on set. The very nature of translating it into another medium, you get lost. It’s impossible to be 100 percent faithful. But she was all in.

Kate Hudson: When you’re working with studios on certain types of movies, people like to fit things into a box. They want successful movies in this genre. Hilary [Swank, Producer] wanted it to feel like the book. They didn’t want to disappoint the audience, they didn’t want to compromise with the studio to water or dumb it down. They wanted it to be about a guy who was cheating on his fiance â€" that saga, that dilemma. It makes for a good conversation piece.

Ginnifer, what’s next for you?

Ginnifer Goodwin: I actually just shot another pilot and I wasn’t expecting to dive right back into TV but honestly it’s been a really long time since I read a script of substance. In the movie world, I have been nervous that I wouldn’t be able to find something creatively fulfilling so I started to read pilots, and in my humble opinion that’s where all the great writers are. I found one that I adored and shot it within a couple months of wrapping Big Love.

Kate, you’ve worked in this industry for almost a decade. Do actresses have to dive into the business side of things to maintain a lengthy career?

Kate Hudson: Depends on what you want. I had not been as active in that dept as my mother was in terms of developing and producing. I’ve dabbled in it but it takes a lot of work. There’s a stigma that follows you when you go down that road as a woman, which my mother had to deal with very much in her prime. It can be very difficult. At the same time, it shows in quality of work how she fought for a lot of things. In the quality of the types of movies â€" she took it very seriously. Watching that, I’ve sort of fought against it a little bit, especially when you have a family.

Something Borrowed hits theaters May 6th!



Powered By WizardRSS.com | Full Text RSS Feed | Amazon Plugin | Hud Settlement Statement

No comments:

Post a Comment